Donated blood today, a double-red donation.
Saw someone storm out of Facebook today. I do not know why, and most likely I never will. That is ok. Quitting is not a bad thing.
But there are different ways to quit.
Less effective –
- “I’m too busy.”
- “This is a waste of time.”
- “I don’t like this. I’m leaving.”
- “I never understood it.”
More effective –
- “I’m taking a leave of absence from my job to devote 12 weeks to our new baby.”
- “By not attending this meeting, I can devote an hour to this class.”
- “I’m moving away from this project because I have an opportunity to lead something new.”
It’s more effect to leave for something specific. It allows for a smoother transition. It also keeps doors open for your return.
Quitting without a target moves you backwards.
Quitting with a target moves you forward.